Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Principia Lifelong Learning trip--Day One



Foxgloves along the trail


A couple on the trail told me these are called Yellow Flag Irises.

Some of the group enjoying packed lunches and tea treats at Rydal Hall

Chuck distributes sustenance--Kendal Mint Cakes, just like those taken by Sir Edmund Hilary to the top of Everest.

Back at home, the hills glow in the setting sun.

I don’t know if I will have time to post each day during this week, but I will if I can.  I want to share how wonderful this Principia Lifelong Learning group is and what a good time we are having together.  Today, the group hiked from the Youth Hostel in Ambleside to Grasmere where they will be staying for three nights.  Chuck Wilcoxen, Cross Country Coach extraordinaire, led them out of Ambleside and up to Rydal Hall, where I met the group.  We had lunch at the tea room, had a short lecture in the formal gardens, and then headed to Rydal Mount for a tour of the house and the gardens.  From there, we walked along the coffin trail to Grasmere. Everyone is learning about hiking in this terrain, and what an amazingly supportive group of people!  We took our time and enjoyed the sights along the way.  I left them at Potted Out, a restaurant in Grasmere, and we are all looking forward to tomorrow’s trip to Hawkshead.

No comments:

Post a Comment